Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mavis Gallant Reviewed in the Montreal Review of Books

My Favourite Montreal Story
Montreal Stories
Reviewed By Ian McGillis

from Montreal Review of Books
Winter 2006
eighteenth issue
Vol 9, No 2


When I first moved to Montreal eight years ago I chose an apartment in Mile End. It was actually a bit of a dump, but that didn't matter because it was around the corner from where Mordecai Richler grew up. When my first novel was published three years ago I had my author photo taken in front of Wilensky's, in a very deliberate salute to Duddy Kravitz. So you would assume I'd choose a Richler book. But even the Dickens of St. Urbain must bow before the majesty of Mavis Gallant, master of the short story and, in my humble opinion, the greatest writer ever born in Canada...

To read the rest of this article, please click here.

*************

Rattling Books' unabridged audio production of Montreal Stories by Mavis Gallant, narrated by Margot Dionne was selected as one of 2007's twelve best fiction audiobooks by the U.S. audio book magazine AudioFile.