Thursday, August 23, 2007

In the Chambers of the Sea: Eliot Sighting #1

T.S. Eliot In The Gas Station
from seattlepi.com blogs
Art to Go

Last week I blew a tire and found myself in a gas station, so distracted by the unexpected chore that I forgot to bring something to read. With a slightly desperate feeling, I headed for the waiting room, hoping at least to flip through pictures in old magazines.

Instead, I was startled to see a slender, palm-sized volume of T.S. Eliot on an orange bucket seat. With no owner in sight, I picked up the book to read the Post-It Note on the cover: "Yrs If You Want It."

People who leave books in public places for others to enjoy, free of charge, have banded together into an international organization. It's called Bookcrossing, the literary Web version of a message in a bottle (P-I story here.)

My Eliot did not appear to be part of that global community. It bore no ID number for tracking online. Instead, it seemed to be a solitary's attempt to start a literary conversation with anyone who wanted a copy of Eliot badly enough to put up with the former owner's marginalia [...]

To read the rest of this blog entry, click here.

*************

In the Chambers of the Sea, a short story collection by Susan Rendell, is available as an unabridged audiobook from Rattling Books narrated by Anita Best, Deidre Gillard-Rowlings, Joel Hynes, Susan Rendell, Janet Russell, Janis Spence, Francesca Swann and Agnes Walsh.