Monday, January 21, 2008

Late New Year's Resolution Entry

This one comes from Michael Bradley of North Hatley, Quebect--too late for the contest deadline, yes, but at base, the contest is about playing with language, having some fun with it, so we couldn't resist posting the entry for your reading pleasure:Some days I shive to get my waddock together and get my New Year's bawn written out. That way there's a lewardly chance that I might actually follow it. This year though there isn't a blue drop's chance in... well in bawk of writing anything down. You see I gud have done it on time by the 14th and everything, but my drung broke down right where the boo meets the pishogue. I tried to have it fixed ad the shop down by the angishore, but the guy there just yaffled at me and so did the other fellers. It really got my marl up, it did. I headed off to the bar where I droke several of Quidi Vidi's 1894s one after the other. And now I'm so merrybegot that I haven't the slightest clue what all this nuzzle tripe writing stuff I started to put down is all about. Was it something about New Year's?

*************************************

inspired by the Rattling Books
New Year's Resolution Contest based on the Rattling Books facebook group REDEFiNE iT: Dictionary of Newfoundland English.

The REDEFiNE iT group was inspired in part by Mary Dalton's collection of poems entitled Merrybegot. The unabridged audio edition is available as an audio CD or Digital Download from Rattling Books. It is performed by Anita Best with Patrick Boyle on trumpet and flugelhorn.