Thursday, July 17, 2008

True Romance in the Globe from Michael Winter

True Romance

So she dated my brother. She was still my first love

MICHAEL WINTER
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
July 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM EDT


It started in the new year. We drove to Little Rapids and I shovelled snow off the pond, hungover, and just lay there next to the aluminum shovel and watched her white leather skates flash in the sunlight. This was after my brother parked his truck on blocks, broke up with her and lit out from Newfoundland for Alberta.

In spring I drove Donna down to Bottle Cove and tested the pans of ice, jumping from floe to floe - copying she called it. In summer we kayaked around Shelbert Island in the Humber River without life jackets and had bonfires on the beach at Benoit's Cove and shone the headlights of my father's Toyota on the shore when the capelin rolled in at 2 in the morning.

Read the rest here.

*****************

Michael Winter is the author of The Architects Are Here, The Big Why and This All Happened.